The site has previously been approved for retail development when it was granted planning permission for a new Tesco food store in 2011. However, since then, Tesco have pulled out of the site and the land has been vacant since.
Many local people have described the Carlton Road site as an eye-sore. Opus North’s proposal will therefore bring the site into productive use, and do so with a scheme which greatly enhances the area.
Opus North’s proposal will:
- Regenerate a prominent, vacant brownfield site which has been described locally as an eyesore
- Create up to 200 jobs, with additional opportunities through construction and the supply chain
- Bring additional shopping choice for local residents in a high-quality environment
- Invest £15million into the area
- Offer a diverse range of well-known retail and food outlets including Lidl and an additional B&M Bargains, with a garden centre, for Worksop